What is Dibasic Lead Stearate ?
Dibasic Lead Stearate is a white powder which finds extensive use in the field of lubricant and heat stabilizer at high temperatures during PVC processing. This is because Di Basic Lead Stearate has free lead oxide and free fatty acid content. The free lead oxide contributes towards the stability, whereas the free fatty acid helps in lubrication, both working well at high temperatures.
Di Basic Lead Stearate finds application in cable manufacturing, PVC processing, calendaring operations and extrusions. Due to toxicity, Di Basic Lead Stearate is not used in articles that are likely to come in contact with foodstuff. Normally, Di Basic Lead Stearate is used along with Lead Stearate and Tri Basic Lead Sulphate.
Due to its low melting point, Lead Stearate can be dispersed very easily in PVC.
It is a Dibasic Lead Salt of Fatty Acids [Dibasic Lead Stearate chemical formula is 2PbO.Pb(C17H35COO)2 ]. Also known as Lead stabilizer. And it has the molecular mass of 1219.87 g mol−1.
Synonyms of Dibasic Lead Stearate are “Lead Soap”, “Dibasic Lead Salt of fatty acid”, “PbSt2″, “Lead stearate” etc.
Dibasic Lead Stearate can be manufactured from different methods, i.e.,
- Precipitation method : Indirect method.
- Direct process : Litharge and Stearic acid reacts directly to produce dibasic lead Stearate. Temperature conditions are controlled and water acts as a catalyst to fasten the process. This process is not commercially viable.
- Fusion process : High shear process under controlled temperature and pressure condition. Produces off-white Dibasic lead stearate.
- VM Process : inhouse developed process, thanks to our R&D department. From this, we are now able to produce highest quality of Dibasic Lead Stearate at most competitive price. It is super white and white in color with variable particle sizes.
Dibasic Lead Stearate properties:
It is white, and toxic power with specific gravity of 2.1. It can dissolve in hydrochloric acid and nitric acid, but not in water. As an antioxidant, it has excellent performance
of resistance to ultraviolet ray ,cold, ageing, lubricants, PVC industries, Stabilizer. This makes it a very essential mineral in various industrial applications.
The environmental impact of the lead used to stabilise PVC products, is only of concern for specific end-of-life options. During the use phase, no significant potential
environmental impact can be identified if the products are properly used. If the PVC is mechanically recycled into new products, the lead is used as a stabiliser again and incorporated into the polymer matrix. If PVC is chemically recycled, basic substances, such as salt, lead and coke, are recovered and may be used elsewhere. If the PVC is incinerated, the lead ends up the filters and is dumped into special facilities.
The typical lead content in major applications is:
• Pipes = 0.75%
• Wires and cables = 1.6%
• Window profiles = 2%
Dibasic Lead Stearate Chemical Properties/Composition :
|Lead as PbO (%)||: 50.0 – 52.0%|
|Free fatty acid||: 0.5%|
|Moisture (%)||: 0.3 max.|
|Ash Content (%)||: 54.5 – 56.5%|
Dibasic Lead Stearate Physical Properties :
|Appearance||: Super White powder|
|Bulk density||: 2.0 g/cm³, solid|
|Melting Point||: 115–117 °C|
|Solubility in water||: insoluble|
|Solubility in Benzene||: Slightly soluble|
Dibasic Lead Stearate Industrial Applications& Uses :
PVC stabilizer is a complex mixture designed to prevent degradation from heat or UV light. These are also added to the PVC polymer to prevent thermal degradation and hydrogen chloride evolution during processing. All PVC is stabilized through the addition of stabilizers. Among all stabilizers available, Dibasic Lead stearate is most preferred and useful due to its properties as well as comparatively cheaper cost.
Our Dibasic Lead Stearate known to provide good heat stability to various compounds due to the presence of high free PbO compounds. This quality make it useful for several applications, like :
- PVC Compounds : Use as a Heat stabilizer and internal lubricant
- Rigid PVC Pipes : For stabilizing the PVC during moulding
- Cables & Wires
- PVC Profiles & Flooring
- PVC Footwear
- Plastics Master Batches : for heat stabilizer and as a lubricant.
Dibasic Lead Stearate Price in India (Our suggested Dibasic Lead Stearate grades):
Our Dibasic Lead Stearate product grades are produced from the highest quality Litharge and Stearic Acid. A variety of Dibasic Lead Stearate is manufactured to cater different industrial requirements.
|Dibasic Lead Stearate Grades||VL – PVC1||VL – PVC2|
|Product Name||Dibasic Lead Stearate for PVC||Lead Stearate for PVC products|
|Appearance||Super White fine powder||White powder|
|Lead Content (%)||50.0 – 52.0||50.0 – 52.0|
|Total Ash (as PbO)||54.5 – 56.5||54.5 – 56.5|
|Moisture (%)||0.3 max||0.3 max|
|Free Fatty Acid (%)||0.5 max||0.5 max|
|Soluble Salts (%)||Nil||Nil|
|Melting Point (°C)||115 – 117||115 – 117|
|Fineness||700 mesh||325 mesh|
|Sieve residue (%)||0.2||0.2|
|Applications||Very fine powder for mold releasing in PVC||Fine powder as internal lubricant in PVC|
ackaging Details :
1. 20kg/bag, white paper bag or composite kraft paper bag(inside with PE plastics bag).
2. Should storage and transport under shady, cool and ventilated environment ;Avoid acid, alkali and corrosive substances. Keep it away from the humidity, hotness, fire and corrosion.