QuartzWhat is Quartz ? Quartz is a chemical compound consisting of one part silicon and two parts oxygen. It is the most abundant mineral found at
Earth’s surface and its unique properties make it one of the most useful natural substances. Quartz is the second most
common mineral in the Earth’s continental crust. It is made up of a lattice of silica (SiO2) tetrahedra.
Quartz goes by an array of different names. The most important distinction between types of quartz is that of
macrocrystalline (individual crystals visible to the unaided eye) and the microcrystalline or cryptocrystalline varieties
(aggregates of crystals visible only under high magnification). Quartz is also known as a ubiquitous mineral with an
enormous number of uses.
Quartz Processing (Silicon dioxide, SiO2) At a share of approx. 12 %, quartz ranks second behind feldspar as the most
common mineral of the lithosphere, either in the form of solid rock or eroded sand. After being processed to quartz sand <
600 μm, the quartz is used in the manufacture of glass; for special paints (road building); in foundries as moulding sand; in
adhesives for the ceramics industry; in sand blasting equipment; for sanding sports stadiums; etc. Even finer in the < 80 μm
range with a steep particle size distribution is found in ceramic base compounds, and at a fineness of < 20 μm in glazes.
It has a hardness of 7 on the Mohs’ Scale which makes it very durable.
Quartz is silicon dioxide [chemical formula is (SiO2)]. Quartz properties: Its usefulness can be linked to its physical and chemical properties. It is chemically inert in contact with most substances. It
has electrical properties and heat resistance that make it valuable in electronic products. Its luster, color and diaphaneity
make it useful as a gemstone and also in the making of glass. This makes it a very essential mineral in our day-to-day
life. Quartz is highly resistant to both mechanical and chemical weathering. This durability makes it the dominant mineral of
mountaintops and the primary constituent of beach, river and desert sand. Quartz is ubiquitous, plentiful and durable.
Minable deposits are found throughout the world.
Quartz is one of the most useful natural materials. Its usefulness can be linked to its physical and chemical properties. It is
chemically inert in contact with most substances. It has electrical properties and heat resistance that make it valuable in
electronic products. Its luster, color and diaphaneity make it useful as a gemstone and also in the making of glass.
Quartz Chemical Properties/Composition :
|SiO2||: > 99.6%|
|Fe2O3||: < 0.05%|
Quartz Physical Properties :
|Appearance||: snow white, glassy powder|
|Density||: 2.65 g/cm3|
|Oil absorption||: 17 to 26|
|Water Soluble salts||: none|
|Volatile matter||: Less than 0.5%|
|Loss on Ignition||: less than 0.1%|
Industrial Applications :
- Glass Making : High purity silica sand (Quartz sand)is used in the glassmaking industry. Quartz sand is used in the production of container glass, flat plate glass, specialty glass and fiberglass.
- Abrasive Material : Quartz is an excellent abrasive material. Quartz sands and finely ground silica sand are used for sand blasting, scouring cleansers, grinding media, and grit for sanding and sawing.
- Foundry Sand : Quartz is very resistant to both chemicals and heat. With a melting temperature higher than most metals it can be used for the molds and cores of common foundry work. Refractory brick are often made of quartz sand because of its high heat resistance. Quartz sand is also used as a flux in the smelting of metals.
- Petroleum Industry : Quartz sand has a high resistance to being crushed. In the petroleum industry sand slurries are forced down oil and gas wells under very high pressures in a process known as hydraulic fracturing. This high pressure fractures the reservoir rocks and the sandy slurry injects into the fractures. The durable sand grains hold the fractures open after the pressure is released. These open fractures facilitate the flow of natural gas into the well bore.
- Many Other Quartz Uses : Quartz sand is used as a filler in the manufacture of rubber, paint and putty. Screened and washed, carefully sized quartz grains are used as filter media and roofing granules. Quartz sands are used for traction in the railroad and mining industries. These sands are also used in recreation on golf courses, volleyball courts, baseball fields, children’s sand boxes and beaches.
- In making Tripoli: It is crystalline silica of an extremely fine grain size (less than ten micrometers). Commercial tripoli is a nearly pure silica material that is used for a variety of mild abrasive purposes which include: soaps, toothpastes, metal polishing compounds, jewelry polishing compounds and buffing compounds. Tripoli is also used in brake friction products, fillers in enamel, caulking compounds, plastic, paint, rubber and refractories.
Quartz Price in India (Our suggested quartz grades):
|Quartz Grades / Model no.||VQ – 99N25||VQ – 99N200||VQ – 99W200||VQ – 99W300||VQ – 99S12||VQ – 99S16||VQ – 99SU5||VQ – 99SL|
|Product Name||Export Quality Quartz grains minimum 99%||Snow white quartz powder for paints||Super white quartz powder for paints||Super white quartz powder 300 mesh||Premium Quartz grains for sodium silicate||High Quality Quartz grains minimum 99%||High Purity Udaan Dust Quartz 99%||Premium quality quartz lumps|
|Color||Snow White||Snow White||Super White||Super White||Semi White||Semi White||Semi White||Snow White|
|SiO2 (%)||99.9%||99.9%||99.9%||99.9%||> 99%||> 99%||> 99%||99.9%|
|Purity||99.9%||99.9%||99.9%||99.9%||> 99%||> 99%||> 99%||99.9%|
|Fe2O3 (%)||0.1 max.||0.1 max.||0.1 max.||0.1 max.||0.5 max.||0.5 max.||0.5 max.||0.1 max.|
|All Sizes available*||0.1 to 0.4 mm||200 mesh||200 mesh||300 mesh||0.6 to 1.2 mm||0.3 to 0.7 mm||500 mesh||Lumps|
|Applications||Export Quality; Marble industry; Glass industry and for Glazing||Paint industry; Glazing; rubber industry||Paint industry; Glazing||Petroleum industry; Glaze powder; High quality paints & Glass industry||Sodium silicate manufacturing; Glass industry; Ceramic industry||Marble industry; Glaze powder; High quality paints & Glass industry||Paint industry; Glazing||Export Quality; Marble industry; Glass industry and for Glazing|
For various applications we also manufacture & supply tailor made Quartz powder & grains as per customers’ demand.
|Packaging & Delivery Details:|
|Packaging:||50 kg pp bag; 1ton/bag; 1*20 container, can load 25-27 MT or upon clients’ requirement|
|Delivery:||within 5 – 20 days (depending upon the delivery location) after receiving the deposit|